Thursday, September 16, 2004

Don Imus: "This is my candidate, and ... I don't know what he's talking about."

Don Imus, host of the famous radio talk show 'Imus in the Morning', had the opportunity to interview Kerry the other day:

IMUS: You said, Senator Kerry, a while back, not that long ago -- and I assume you meant all of the things you're talking about now, but you said knowing what you know now, which would include just what you've been talking about, you would have still voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq, which doesn't make any sense to me.

KERRY: Yes, it actually does make sense.

IMUS: Explain it. Help me out here. . . .

Senator Kerry proceeded to lay his "policy on Iraq" out on the table for the befuddled Imus (transcript). Eventually, things came to a head:

KERRY: I mean, what you ought to be doing and what everybody in America ought to be doing today is not asking me; they ought to be asking the president, What is your plan? What's your plan, Mr. President, to stop these kids from being killed? What's your plan, Mr. President, to get the other countries in there? What's your plan to have 90 percent of the casualties and 90 percent of the cost being carried by America?

IMUS: We're asking you because you want to be president.

Don Imus would later reflect on the occasion (Kerry's Iraq war comments leave backer Imus confuse" Dallas Morning News Sept. 15, 2004):

"I was just back in my office banging my head on the jukebox," Mr. Imus said. "This is my candidate, and ... I don't know what he's talking about."

(Thanks Tim Blair).

No comments: